Saturday, May 23, 2009

A Day in the Village

Pujehun and Foindu, Sierra Leone

Today was a day to tour the villages and learn about the differences for each one. This morning, I walked around delivering letters and packages that previous travelers had sent along to families and friends they made on their visits. This was an especially pleasurable activity after seeing the happiness on their faces at having made contact with old friends.

What one discovers when walking around the village, especially in a group, that you quickly pick up an entourage of preschoolers, since all the older children are at school. This morning after having met a few people, a boy of about 3 becomes physically attached to me so that even as I covered a great deal of ground up and down roads, through paths in the forest, across farmers fields and back to town, he never left my side, often holding my hand. I discovered his name to be Bobor, which became Bubba. He was promoted to the leader of my security detachment, and seemed to enjoy the attention. Children here are surprisingly quiet and seemingly un-needy. As I am sitting here typing this, there are at least a dozen children standing so quietly behind me in the dark that I have to occasionally look back to see if they are still there.

Still, as I walk along with holding Bubba’s very small hand, it occurred to me that although he has gotten past infancy, the chance that he would not survive to see his first day of school was uncomfortably high. I told myself that since his father is better educated than most, and has a job off the farm, that his chances were better than most, but I cannot estimate his future with any certainty. No one can. Even if he survives or even thrives, there are so many others just as loyal and adorable who won’t.

People here don't dwell on tragedy, they don't talk about lost children or what happened to them during the war. They are preoccupied with survival, yet they are friendly and accepting beyond description. I can't remember the last time I drove by people in a car and they all waved, or when I walked up to someone's house and they got up to give you their chair. I think I'm going to miss that.

2 comments:

  1. Brian, Your journal entries are wonderful to read. I'm interested particularly in your comments about the children. The little boy, Bobor, sounds quite attached to you; has he continued to follow you, or are you now in a different town? Stay safe and thanks for the vicarious journey. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. The throng of kids - that's exactly what I remember from the 2007 trip. So much curiosity, such unguarded affection.

    For me, even more wrenching than the thought of the health of the littler children were the appeals made by the children at the end of the free primary school years. They ask for sponsorship so that they can attend secondary school - something most in the villages have no way to pay for. The scholarships given out by SLPP are so important. . .

    Brian, I didn't have a chance to write something up to be delivered, but there are two brothers in Pujehun who were my primary hosts/friends. They were volunteer teachers at the Pujehun school, named Panewa and Foday. Could you please pass on my best thoughts to them and their family?

    Thanks so much, and thank you all for your continued work!

    ReplyDelete